SAINT PAUL, Minn. – The Minnesota Wild of the National Hockey League today unveiled its 2022 NHL Winter Classic jersey at the Minnesota State Fair. The Wild will host the St. Louis Blues on Saturday, January 1, 2022, outside at Target Field, home of the Minnesota Twins. Schedule and ticket information for the 2022 NHL Winter Classic will be released at a later date. The Minnesota Wild 2022 NHL Winter Classic Jersey is designed to celebrate the State’s rich hockey pedigree, Twin Cities rivalry, and heritage as a hockey state:
- Elements of the famous Minneapolis and St. Paul hockey teams have been combined into one uniform. The base jersey design unites the 1930s St. Paul Saints look with the traditional Minnesota Wild color scheme. The lettering, numbers and other design elements on the jersey all come from those early hockey clubs that helped make Minnesota “The State of Hockey.”
- The two stars on the crest refer to Gemini, the constellation of twins. They represent the two cities – St. Paul and Minneapolis. The shape of the state between them symbolizes how cities come together to represent the capital of Minnesota. The names of both cities are arched around these symbolic marks, further highlighting how they come together to rally around the sport of hockey and their team.
- The origins of pond hockey are reflected in the vintage white of the jersey, the inspiration of the canvas windbreaks in the pants and in the leather gloves. The brown colored canvas elbow pads represent long hours of wear and tear on beloved hockey equipment.
- Heritage embellishments like felt are used on the crest, name and numbers. A special shrunken and shaped yoke was developed to nail a 1930s and 1940s hockey aesthetic.
- The Wild NHL Winter Classic Jersey was designed by adidas in partnership with the Wild and the NHL.
“With the game being played at the home of the Minnesota Twins, we certainly channeled Minnie and Paul’s spirit into our Winter Classic sweater,” said John Maher, senior brand advisor. “The stripes, fonts and fabrics used in the final Adidas design were all inspired by the St. Paul and Minneapolis hockey teams of the 1920s, 30s and 40s.” Fans can purchase the Classic jersey. The 2022 Minnesota NHL Winter now on hockeylodge.com and at the Minnesota Wild Hockey Lodge store located at the Xcel Energy Center starting at 12:00 p.m. today. Custom jerseys will also be available to order at the Hockey Lodge. For more information on the 2022 NHL Winter Classic, to receive alerts when ticket information is available, and for a chance to win 2022 NHL Winter Classic tickets, please visit wild.com/ winterclassic.