It’s no secret if you live in Burlington County, especially on the east side near the Delaware River. The drink is called Drink Atoast, Boost, or Take-A-Boost, depending on your family’s preferences.
This “Boost” should not be confused with the energy / vitamin supplement for the elderly that came out about 20 years ago. This drink has been around for over a hundred years.
There are a lot of families who swear by the stuff and keep it in the fridge or pantry year round. There are others who hate the stuff.
I discovered Boost when I was about 11 and visiting relatives of a friend in my neighborhood in South Philly. Her mother took us on two buses (not many women in town were driving at the time) and we finally made it to Riverside, New Jersey.
Riverside is Boost’s homeland, and it always surprised me that he still survives but is only known VERY locally in the Burlington County area. Of course, it can be shipped nationwide and around the world, and locals who have moved out of town are sent to them all the time. But this is still only a local phenomenon.
It was developed by a local pharmacist named Benjamin Faunce. He was looking for something to help his son who was often ill and had been developing the patented formula since 1913.
The company employs around ten people and the company survives to this day, albeit in a very small corner of our world.
You’ll see large red and white signs at pizzerias, delis, restaurants, gas stations, and convenience stores in many areas of Burlington County.
If you haven’t grown up with it, you might find the taste a bit odd, but I can’t go a summer without it.
Boost comes in a syrup, and you mix it with four parts of water. Some places sell it as slush, and you can get brain freeze by sucking it in so fast.
Try it out and see what you think … if you can find it!
The above post reflects the thoughts and observations of New Jersey 101.5 talk show host Dennis Malloy. All opinions expressed are those of Dennis Malloy.