SAVANNAH, Ga. – Monday marks the fifth day since 20-month-old Quinton Simon was reported missing from his coastal Georgia home. Quinton’s disappearance received national attention at this point due to the many questions still surrounding the case.
The toddler was reported missing from his Buckhalter Road home where he lives with his mother, boyfriend, grandparents and two other children last Thursday morning. A massive search was launched almost immediately. The Chatham County Police Department quickly requested FBI assistance. On Monday, there were more than 40 agents from the Savannah and Brunswick offices as well as agents from specialized FBI units such as the Child Abduction Rapid Deployment Team.
Chatham County Police Chief Jeff Hadley said Monday they were continuing to aggressively investigate the case.
“I want to assure everyone that we continue to use all available investigative resources to locate little Quinton,” Chief Hadley said at an afternoon news conference.
Quinton Simon (Chatham County Police Department)
The chief said law enforcement executed multiple search warrants, conducted multiple interviews, and used as much technology as possible to try to find answers, but more importantly, to find Quinton. He said nothing was ruled out.
“Everyone is screened, everyone is interviewed, everyone who had contact with Quinton during the last period of his disappearance is screened, is interviewed, and it’s a huge amount of work,” said leader.
The chief also said it was still a missing person case and no suspects had been named, including the biological father, who does not live with the child.
At Monday afternoon’s press conference, he declined to speculate as to why Quinton’s family hasn’t made a public statement or pleaded for the toddler’s safe return.
The chief said there was still no evidence of an abduction. A Levi’s Call, Georgia’s Amber Alert System, was not activated because of this.
Chief Hadley also addressed the growing speculation online as the case receives wider coverage.
“Well, we have the Constitution to follow, we have the law to follow, because we want to make sure we get it right,” the leader said, adding that he didn’t want to lose any evidence in case the investigation would lead to any criminal charges being filed.
Recent requests for the initial 911 call and body camera video of responding officers were also denied for release due to this factor. The chief added that it can be frustrating, but investigators must work within the law to make this right.
On Monday, investigators continued to target specific areas.
“We went back today and re-searched the house where he was last,” the chief said.
Chief Hadley said he believed investigators would work at least through the week before reassessing the case. He thinks that they are still far from having exhausted all possible leads.
In the meantime, he said everyone remains on deck in the search.
“They’re tired, but they’re determined, and I couldn’t be prouder of them. They’ve been working 18-hour days since Thursday morning with the FBI,” he said.
When asked by reporters if he thought they would find Quinton, Chief Hadley simply replied, “I believe we will, I do.”
Quinton was last seen wearing a light blue Sesame Street t-shirt and black pants.
They are asking anyone with credible information to call detectives at 912-667-3134. Anyone who believes they see Quinton is asked to call 911 immediately.